Setting the default application in the "you have chosen to open" dialog box: as of Firefox (Iceweasel) 20.0, in
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, add a line like this to the Default Applications section:
This overrides the settings in
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, which is autogenerated by
update-desktop-database. So now you have to manually sync your local mimeapps.list with mimeinfo.cache if you just want to change the program that is selected by default in the "you have chosen to open" dialog box. Dumb. I like to use Firefox's built-in PDF previewer most of the time, but when I want to download a PDF, I want to have Okular selected to open it by default, not GIMP.
Here are some Firefox/iceweasel config items I like to set:
- browser.backspace action 0
- browser.blink allowed false
- browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete false
- browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab false
- browser.xul.error pages.expert bad cert true
- font.size.fixed.x-western 14 (can set this using the GUI)
- layout.spellcheckDefault 2
- network.http.pipelining.ssl true
- network.http.pipelining true
- network.http.proxy.pipelining true
- plugins.hide infobar for missing plugin true
Addons that I sometimes like to install:
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autoauth/ - for autosubmitting proxy auth dialogs, until Mozilla Project fixes the authentication popup bugs
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uppity/ - Pentadactyl can do this mostly with
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firebug/ - but normally I have this disabled unless I need it.
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ - good when it's needed, but I don't use it much. Usually disabled.
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/its-all-text/ - good, but made redundant by Pentadactyl.